Saturday, October 27, 2007

The orator, Pt. I

For those of you who missed it live a few years ago, here is a video of my college commencement address.

I remember that writing the speech was a difficult process - particulary the parts where I attempted to come up with something that wasn't reminiscent of the "off into the world" speeches that I had heard before. The speech went through about five drafts, finally resting on this version. The bulk of the text was written while waiting on lines at Six Flags during Senior Week. Kudos to ZNog for helping me sort through the catalogue of dialogue lines on the table AND for encouraging me to eat a whole turkey leg right before riding the Batman ride.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best graduation speech, ever(besides mine from high school where, I swear, the phrase "generation Y" was first used)!

That was fantastic and very funny! Definitely a tough act to follow.

Unknown said...

For some reason I can't access the video, but -- the label Crear -- you went to U of C??

Great web site. Found you through Stained Teeth, which I love. Best of luck.

j.

Unknown said...

PS. You are very much right about no one listening. It seems we live in a post-human era.

Justin said...

Hi Jane,

Yes, I did go to U of C. I loved it there! I also think Stained Teeth is groovy. Sorry you couldn't view the video. It's also on YouTube -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=620jQS5pgUc

J

Unknown said...

Yeah, I just graduated from U of C this spring. What a lovely place, huh? A very strange, very lovely place. Still can't view your speech, but I'm sure it's delightful...

Justin said...

Of course it's delightful.

You still can't view my speech? Even through the YouTube link?

You've just blown everyone's mind. Everyone.

Just the bare possibility that someone on this planet can't view a YouTube video means that there is hope for humanity.

J

Unknown said...

Now it's working! I guess there's no hope for humanity after all...

And it was delightful.