Wednesday, October 17, 2007

No one listens

I wrote the title to this post before actually thinking of what I wanted to write.

The gist of it was the people tend to care more about the sounds of their own voices rather than engaging in the actual conversation they pretend to be in. Apparently, I was so interested in coming up with a witty headline that I forgot to pay attention to my brain that was trying to come up with something worthwhile to discourse.

And although this is not a first (for anyone), I do take offense that I have effectively tuned myself out.

Also on the subject of listening...

I happened to catch episode 1.02 of Cavemen. For those who haven't seen Cavemen, it's ABC's most recent effort to change itself into brothel. They've actually outdone themselves as the premise for Cavemen stems from television commercial characters.

However, it should be noted that I did laugh at the following scene:

- Two cavemen are looking at a website about Russian mail-order brides
- Another caveman comes in; this caveman is the most "modern human" of all of the cavemen, and tries to convince his compatriots that they should assimilate.
- The two cavemen looking at the website about Russian mail-order brides start talking to each other in Russian.
- The "modern" caveman looks at them sternly and asks them to stop talking in Russian.

I believe that this was a subtle reference the possibility that primative man may have crossed the Bering Strait. The Bering Strait separates Russia from Alaska and it has been hypothesized that man may have walked this distance in prehistoric times.

Or maybe it was a bullshit throw-away line and I wasted my laughter.

Someone please find me a writer from Cavemen to confirm the intent of this joke.

No comments: